Here’s how I made my leaf casting:
- I mounded the sand into a gentle rise. Higher in the center and lower on the outside.
- Then I covered the sand with a plastic trash bag to prevent the sand from getting into the casting.
- Next I layered three large sunflower leaves with the base of each leaf on top of the mound of sand and plastic layer so that the points radiated outward.
- Then I carefully spread the mixed cement over the leaves with a spade. I had to take special care so that I didn’t tear or move the leaves. I started from the center to anchor the leaves in place and worked outward.
- When all the cement was in place I covered with a second plastic bag.
The large veining pattern on the sunflower leaves left some really nice deep grooves in the birdbath. This one stays at mom’s house so I’ll have to make another one for us before the sunflowers are gone!