Spring weather is at best fickle. One day it’s warm and sunny with temperatures in the 60’s and 70’s then next day the weather forecasters are bringing up the “S” word – SNOW! We didn’t have any of the white stuff thankfully. Sometimes I suspect that there’s a fair amount of weather sensationalism out there where bringing it up certain words makes you stick around through the commercial break. Still cold temperatures came and left, rain came and left, and most certainly will be back.
This weekend’s weather will be good for the first half which is just what I need to get a little more done on the greenhouse. Saturday will find me sawing and hammering more siding in the gables after a quick trip for supplies. Maybe, just maybe, I’ll get the outside done (except for cleaning, caulking, and painting of course!)
If I get the chance I’ll finish filling my two newest raised beds. I’ve already filled them with grass clippings, newspapers and soil will be next. I set up a cucumber trellis today but have to wait on planting for a little while at least until after April 15th and maybe longer- when the 15th comes I’ll be glued to the 10 day weather forecast! I always direct sow my cucumbers but I may start a few in peat pots to get a jump start on germination.
Here’s my Weekend Garden To-do List!
- Greenhouse siding on the gables.
- Add another cabinet to the inside of the greenhouse (In case you missed the post on the other two here’s the link).
- Assemble a plant bench.
- Fill the raised beds.
- Mower maintenance!
A look back at this week on The Home Garden:
Saturday March 20
- Mulch Madness! It’s that time of the year when gardeners everywhere are rushing to gather mulch anyway possible.
Sunday March 21
- What’s the Best Mulch? Do you have a favorite mulch?
Monday March 22
Tuesday March 23
- Growing Lettuce in the Vegetable Garden – It’s time!
Wednesday March 24
Thursday March 25
Friday March 26
- A Few Flower Photos, and the crocuses are finally blooming!