While the weather still may not be ideal I’ve managed to get a few chores accomplished outside the last couple days. There’s much more on my weekend to-do list but I feel good about what has been started so far.
The short list of things that I did:
- Cut back a Russian sage.
- After I cut back the Russian sage I took hardwood cuttings and stuck them enmass on our slope. I had some success by sticking the hardwood cuttings directly into the soil last year and I’m hopeful that they make it. If they do I’ll have 14-15 low care and easy maintenance plants covering an area I hate to mow!
- I cut back one caryopteris and stuck a few of them on the same slope. Caryopteris roots very easily so I figured the hardwood cuttings would do fine directly stuck into the soil.
- Picked up 6 bales of pine needles. I’ll need more mulches but the pine needles are good to start covering some gardens. They are light and cover easy. Not to mention they are a whole lot cheaper than other mulches.
- I also unloaded another yard of gravel into the greenhouse-shed. This load is primarily to fill the spot where the mowers will rest.
The If I Have Enough Time Weekend Garden To-Do List
- Cut down the ornamental grass stems.
- Prune back all perennials.
- Plant lettuce seed.
- Work on the greenhouse-shed (all kinds of fun things to do here).
- Transplant 1 more small red maple.
- Weed: chickweed of all kinds.
- Imagine what it will all look like when everything is finally in bloom!
Next week is the Nashville Lawn and Garden Show (March 4-7)! If the weather isn’t cooperating in your garden why not pay it a visit?